Obesity and Diabetes
Obesity is a chronic (long-term) medical problem of having too much body fat.
Obesity is probably the most important factor in the development of insulin resistance(Diabetes).
Both overweight and obesity can make it more likely that you will develop serious complications.
These problems include diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, gallstones,
highcholesteroI, gout, and many types of cancer
- Increased thirst
- Increased hunger (especially after eating)
- Dry mouth
- Nausea and occasionally vomiting
- Frequent urination
- Fatigue (weak, tired feeling)
- Blurred vision
- Numbness or tingling of the hands or feet
- Frequent infections of the skin, urinary tract or vagina
What is type 2 diabetes?
In type 2 diabetes pancreas does not produce enough insulin or the body cannot use the insulin
This is called insulin resistance. When there isn't enough insulin or the insulin is not used as it should
be, glucose (sugar) can't get into the body's cells for usage as fuel . Glucose builds up in the blood
instead of going into cells.
Who gets type2 diabetes ?
Anyone can get type 2 diabetes. However, those at highest risk for the disease are those who
- Are over 45
- Are obese or overweight
- Have had gestational diabetes
- Have family members who have type 2 diabetes
- Have prediabetes
- Are inactive
- Have low HDL cholesterol or high triglycerides levels
- Have high blood pressure
- Are members of certain racial or ethnic groups
How is type 2 diabetes diagnosed ?
Your doctor will use blood tests to diagnose diabetes.A blood glucose level above 125 mg/dL after fasting overnight or
above 200 mg/dL after eating may indicate diabetes.
How is type 2 diabetes treated ?
- Life style modifications ( weight loss, diet and exercise )
- Oral diabetes medications
- Insulin Injections
Problems if not treated
When there is not enough insulin, glucose builds up in the blood, putting people at risk for serious
health problems including
- Heart attacks and strokes
- Kidney problems
- Numbness in the feet and sores that don’t heal
- Vision problems
- Erectile dysfunction (in men)